This is a vintage vitrified Ridgway diner fruit nappy with forest green rings. This nappy is from the Ridgway Potteries Ltd., Ash Hall, Stoke-on-Trent, at Bedford Works, Shelton. That pottery was founded by Edward J. Ridgway, son of the famous Master Potter William Ridgway of Hanley.
“Well-known in the ceramic industry in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, Job and George Ridgway, of Shelton, are mentioned on Allbuts’ map of 1802, and in 1820 they were making extensively for the American market, being among the leading potters supplying the New World with decorated wares-showing American buildings, scenery, arms of the United States, portraits of Washington and other Americana.
John Ridgway was honoured by being appointed Potter to Her Majesty Queen Victoria and earned high commendation at the 1851 Exhibition. The catalogue informs the Victorian public that ‘The Establishment of Mr. Ridgway is one of the largest and among the best conducted of the many factories of Staffordshire’.
Ridgway materially assisted in establishing a School of Design and founded a scholarship in this connection. The present firm specializes in vitrified wares, tiles and a full range of earthenware tea and dinner sets.”
from the 1956 book ‘British Potters and Pottery Today’